Sunday, June 3, 2012

Change

Some people claim they do not like change.  But, what is life without change?  We face change every day, whether it is seasonal change, weather change, physical, emotional or mental changes, you name it and it probably changes.  And, the way we perceive change, it can be either "good" or "bad;" but more than likely change is inevitable whichever way we perceive it.  


I walked out to the gardens this morning and there were some good changes, my red potatoes and peruvian purple fingerlings started blooming, strawberries started turning red, beets and tomatoes took a growth spurt and more peas were ready to pick.  






However, there were some not-so-favorable changes; for example, something has been nibbling on the bean seedlings.  How we perceive change is only half, the other half is how we face the change.   Do you accept the change, or do you challenge it?  Obviously different circumstances call for different reactions.  I challenged mine.  Found a recipe for an organic insecticide, went to the local hardware store, bought a spray bottle, mixed some lavender castile soap with water, and sprayed the beans with the concoction. Now all I have to do is wait and see if it works.  


Another little concoction I didn't have to wait to see the benefits was my breakfast.  I love pancakes, but for some reason was not craving sweet.  So, why not make them savory?!  Used my basic gluten free pancake recipe, and added lemon zest and fresh thyme and rosemary into the batter.  Topped with fresh strawberries and warm spiced syrup.  For the syrup, I added some lemon zest and cardamom and warmed.  Somehow the herbs in the pancake, strawberries and syrup worked in some magical way.  It was DELISH!




Why does change have to occur to us?  Why can't we make change happen!? I imposed a change onto the traditional coleslaw recipe for dinner.  Knowing my parents were bringing home freshly caught, Eastern Shore clams and shrimp, and my father likes coleslaw, I made beet-slaw!  Slightly sweet, tangy, and a little spicy (ginger and curry).  The other picture is of another salad I made for dinner, zucchini and asparagus ribbons, freshly shelled peas, thyme and mint with a lemon vinaigrette drizzled on top.  It was fresh, light and the perfect compliment to dinner.  



Embrace Change, Face it, Challenge it!







No comments:

Post a Comment