Sunday, June 9, 2013

Different Light

When I'm in the garden I feel free, yet very connected and have a sense of peace and clarity that is unparalleled.  Nature, for me, certainly is the best therapy... Not that I have much on my mind lately (my wedding is in 13 days!!)  

I've been in the garden the last couple weeks and have so much to be thankful for.  The colors are beautiful and the harvest has been wonderful (except for the broccoli, we will have to ask the groundhog about the broccoli).  But, whether I am picking strawberries or peas, there is one common theme.  Every time I look at the plant at a different angle, in a different light, I always find more bounty.  ALWAYS.  But thats like everything in life, right?  If you look at something one way only, you will always have one perspective and leave wonderful things behind.  But, if you look at something from another angle, or multiple angles, you will see different things and be able to be bountiful.  What are you trying to harvest?

This series of pictures highlights my season in the garden...





These are my flowers... well, they are my mom's flowers that I picked.  The peonies are from my late great-grandmother's yard and the irises are from my late grandmother's yard.  Flowers have the power to transform any mood and these are truly heirloom and have great meaning!

So, I've been looking for an awesome recipe for gluten free biscuits.  They are not dairy-free, but these were definitely worth the risk.  I made mine with gluten-free baking mix and grass-fed butter using this recipe.  I added fresh thyme.  These aren't something I would eat everyday, but they are great once a season with fresh strawberries!! And they were so good, my grandmother, who tries not to like gluten-free things, took some home with her.  
  



Sometimes you get blessings in disguise.  This picture captures the day I spent picking, cleaning, mashing, freezing, juicing and jamming strawberries.  It all started when I was given a Saturday off that I didn't even apply for and ended with enough berries to last all year.  
 

 Peas (the inspiration for this posting), broccoli and garlic scapes are this week's harvest.  Tomatoes are my favorite plant to grow.  I start them each year from seeds I saved, grow them, harvest and transform them into salsa, sauce, jam, chutney and catsup to enjoy all year and not have to buy chemical, corn syrup and preservative laden canned, condensed and jarred tomato products.  These are only a few of the veggies that help me to eat pure, and by viewing each in a different light, I am able to harvest more and share the wealth with others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment