Thursday, March 26, 2020

What’s Good?

Every time we turn around we are being sold on the promise that a program or product will either make us feel good or is reinforcing the feeling that we “are good” with very little investment in time or resources.

Good skin
Good rates of return 
Good hair
A good smile
A good body
Feeling good (with a 30 second spot just to highlight all of the potential detriment side effects from the thing that’s promising a better feeling)

But may I ask:
Since when did we buy into the belief that “good” is the gold standard of possibility for our lives?

Just think about:
A good experience at a restaurant 
A good blender
Having just a “good” connection with your partner
A good job
A good meal
A Good grade

... I don’t know about you, but these things/experiences leave me wanting more.

So, what is good anyway?  How do we judge if something is”good”?  
How we judge something as good or bad is entirely based on a collection of our beliefs, values and life experiences to date.

So, is “good” even real? Or is it something entirely made up by us?

AND-  Is “good” it? Is that the highest state of being? 

I hope not.
But that’s for you to determine.  If good is your set point for life, good is what you’ll get.  But I believe people don’t want just good, but they settle for good because they think they don’t have the time, energy or resources to experience anything differently.  Or something isn’t high enough on their values list to motivate them to experience anything greater than good.

What do I want?  Exceptional. Extraordinary. Profound. Inspiration. Days filled with joy, laughter and love for the seemingly small moments. A life expressed to the fullest possible potential. And I will work tirelessly to achieve it.

I desire it for me and I desire it for YOU. 

No comments:

Post a Comment